Re: [OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"

On 21 March 2011 23:46, Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/21/2011 04:23 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
>> Whereas in
>> a proper root shell aren't you prone to "grave mistakes" due to silly
>> things like typos, "forgot where I am in the directory tree" like
>> errors?
>
> First, I only use su - if and *only* if I have to, to avoid those
> embarrassing "where was I?" moments.  (I also use pwd if I'm not
> completely sure.)  Second, before I do anything as root, I read over the
> command several times to be sure.  And, before deleting *anything* as
> root, I use ls to see exactly what I'm going to delete and I never
> delete anything *as root* without good reason.

I routinely su immediately after logging into a server, because very
little of what I do (I work Tech Support for a hosting company) can be
done without root access. However I am also very very careful. I never
delete anything, because I simply move it out of the way instead. I
will always create a backup before changing a file and I never do
*anything* without a backout plan. To take an example, today I moved
86000 messages in a Maildir into separate subfolders by date. That
took me about 5 minutes, but I spent 15 minutes beforehand creating
the tarball of the entire maildir as a backup before I made any
changes.

In summary, root access isn't the problem - it makes no difference if
I make that mistake on the rare occasion I do su or if I su routinely
and make the mistake once - it's the mistake that is the problem and
hence being careful and having backups is the best defence.

> IOW, I'm very careful.
> I won't say that I can't make mistakes, but I can say that after using
> Linux as a secondary OS starting in about '98 and as my only OS since
> Fedora 9 I've learned how to avoid almost all of them.  I tend to regard
> such things as simple, common prudence and expect the same from most of
> the people on this list.

I agree with you. I see so many incidents where my Customers have done
an "rm -f . /" instead of "rm -rf ./" - simple checking your typing
before hitting that mysterious enter key saves you from making the
rookie mistakes. I have the experience to avoid them now, because this
is what I do day in, day out, but I sympathise with people who make
these errors simply because they lack my experience.

> I found myself, more and more,
> finding things obvious that nobody else understood or knew, simply
> because none of the other techs had anywhere near my experience.
> Considering how long I've been using Linux, this may well be simply
> another case of my not realizing how different my experience level is
> compared to the rest of the list.

This is the same in any field. You need to routinely document your
knowledge, so that in the inevitable "man under a car" incident (this
actually happened to a co-worker), the knowledge survives. I've
started documenting (after the fact) any helpful tips I pass on to a
co-worker, simply because next time someone asks, I can point to that
central resource instead of writing a full response. In time.
searching that knowledgebase becomes first-nature for the newbies and
I get less questions - so it has a selfish side ;o)

--
Sam