Re: broadcom wireless under F7 -- the recipe(?)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Andy Green wrote:

> > # iwlist wlan0 scan
> > ... i can see!  i can see! ...
> >

> >   does this look reasonable?  at this point, i assume i would go into
>
> Yes it looks fine, but you are not associated to any AP.  This is the
> wired ethernet equivalent of not having a cable plugged in.  You can try
> to force association by hand if you like
>
> iwconfig wlan0 ap 11:22:33:44:55:66  <--- AP MAC
>
> or go on with your plan to do the same thing the official way...
>
> > network admin and configure wlan0 for the SSID, channel and so on,
> > yes?
>
> Well, give system-config-network a try, I have had variable luck with
> that recognizing the wireless interface as well.  This is why I am
> focused on doing it all on the commandline.

i think i see your point.  even after all the previous output looked
good, when i ran system-config-network to configure the wireless
interface, i tried to add a new wireless connection, and all i got for
a choice of wireless card was "other wireless card."  i was assuming i
would at least get presented with the wireless interface that was in
the laptop.

and in that drop-down list of choices, the only broadcom chip was
"Tigon3" which i'm guessing is not the right choice.  but, really, i
was hoping that the config utility would see the chip.  was i being
hopelessly optimistic and naive?

rday