Re: Back Again

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 13:41 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> [...]

For the record, and to clear up any confusion:

Debian always has at least three releases in active maintenance:
“stable”, “testing” and “unstable”.

The “unstable” distribution is where active development of Debian
occurs. Generally, this distribution is run by developers and those who
like to live on the edge.
The “unstable” distribution is (and probably always will be) called sid.

The “testing” distribution contains packages that haven't been accepted
into a “stable” release yet, but they are in the queue for that. The
main advantage of using this distribution is that it has more recent
versions of software.
The current “testing” distribution is lenny.

The “stable” distribution contains the latest officially released
distribution of Debian.

This is the production release of Debian, the one which we primarily
recommend using.

The current “stable” distribution of Debian GNU/Linux is version 4.0r0,
codenamed etch. It was released on April 8th, 2007.
(Etch replaced the previous stable version 3.0 called Sarge, Sarge
having replace the previous stable version 2.0 called Woody, and so on
and so on.)

Andy