Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

From: "Rahul Sundaram" <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi

Fedora Project isn't providing as good a service as it could, with just a teensy bit more effort. Retire the oldest release _after_ the second later release instead of before it.

If all the security problems really are fixed, it won't even cost signficant effort.

I thought I did offer some reasons I don't wish to use FL; even if you don't understand my reluctance to use it, you don't need to, any more than Ford needs understand why some people prefer white cars.

Let me try again. Today, IMV upgrading to FC4 is not sensible. It offers neither the latest techology, nor any reasonable lifetime, nor the stability (I'm guessing, but them my opinion's the one that colours my decisions) of FC3.

Your explanations here wont have the desired effect here. It might in fedora-devel list. Thats what I have been trying to communicate to you.

John, I suspect beleagured Rahul has a rather significant point here.
You can visit the devel list, make sure you're understood there even
if shouted down, then resign the list. A few weeks should suffice. It
is a pain; but, it does help to go where the intended audience is.

The fact you don't know about any security issues doesn't mean one won't surface in the next five minutes.

You can help in Fedora Legacy to fix them.

There _are_ developers on this list, and this list is archived so the developers can catch up on the discussion. As can the FL folk.

You can be expecting all the relevant developers involved in the decision making processes of release cycle and release lifetime to sign up to this list and track all the discussions here.

Rahul, I suspect it would be a good idea if they visited this list from
time to time to get a sense of the "buzz". That is what I do with the
LKML list. (Which is what convinces me that 2.6 is a development kernel
rather than a stable kernel, even number notwithstanding. 2.6.15 hardly
resembles 2.6.12 in much of any regard. And 16's going to be farther
afield. It seems like Linus has lost control. But that's another rant,
or should be. {^_-} I simply sort new messages by subject, scan the
subjects to see what is happening, and read maybe two or three messages
a day that look like they affect items in which I am interested. Then
I scan some of the messages in long running argument threads to see
what is going on. I don't do that too often. I get disillusioned easily.)

{^_^}