Re: [OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"

On 2011/03/21 20:31, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 03/21/2011 05:42 PM, jdow wrote:
>> All of them require the USER's password for sudo, not the root
>> password.
>
> Of course they do; that's how sudo works.

You said:
"In fact, in Fedora, you can't even set sudo up so that you can use it
without using the *root password!*"

That read as if you figured sudo used the root password.

Now, you do need to use the root password at least once in order to
edit the sudo file. However, "you" do not need to be the one to make
that setting for a machine. Somebody needs it, once. From that point
on you can cheat with sudo depending on how well locked down it is.

You'd have been better off phrasing it differently.

"In fact, in Fedora, you must use the root password at least once
before you can use sudo." That covers it or a personal machine quite
nicely.

(My partner screams at me over making those kinds of ambiguous statements.
I think the MCP has invaded his brain, sometimes, rather than him being
the author of the fool thing for some versions.)

{^_-}