Re: [OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"

On 03/21/2011 02:54 PM, Phil Meyer wrote:
> First of all, after nearly 30 years of UNIX and then Linux
> administration, I would not hire you into my group with a belief such as
> that.

I should have been more clear.  I was thinking in terms of your own
computer, or one that you own.  Two friends of mine have accounts on
this machine and ssh access, so they can do such interesting things as
ping/traceroute through different backbone segments to help with
testing.  Neither one has (or has asked for) sudo access, nor needs it.
  The only reason they might is the fact that sometimes traceroute
doesn't get responses from each router unless you use "traceroute -I"
and that normally needs elevated privileges.  After careful thought and
deciding that I couldn't see a downside to it, I used chmod to set the
suid bit on the binary.

I'd like to assure you, btw, that if I were working as a Linux sysadmin,
I'd follow whatever procedures were in place, and if that includes using
sudo instead of su, I'd have no problems with it because that'd simply
be doing things the way I was being paid to do them.