Re: 3D Support for NVIDIA

Dean S. Messing wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:
: Sam Varshavchik wrote:
: > Dean S. Messing writes:
: >

: This was when I found out that the xorg probing wasn't working properly : on my computer and I had to manually enter all my hardware settings. It : was nothing to find that all my manually entered settings were gone : after an install/upgrade.

Ah!  Maybe that's why I've never experienced a problem.  I always
configure xorg.conf "by hand" with a text editor after installation.
(I realise that this isn't for everyone.)

I had the various drivers overwrite/erase the hand created xorg.conf file, at least while testing.

In my experience, ATI problems are (have been?) _far_ worse than
nVidia's.  That may have changed recently with ATI's acquisition by
AMD. I don't know.

I originally had an ATI video card in the new computer. Ordered after seeing that ATI had Linux drivers on their site. After almost two months of fighting I went and purchased a nvidia card. Less than 30 minutes from paying till I was running in full 3D richness.

Have a friend that has had issues with ATI in Windows XP. Moved to nvidia as well.

Some people believe that they shd. get paid for the hard design work
they do.  There's a great deal more (as I'm sure you know) to IP then
"getting rich".  It's also about self protection from other rapacious
companies, about portfolio negotiation, about protection from your
ideas being stolen, and lots of other stuff.

I have to agree with getting paid but there are many people that create good products only to get ripped off by those that make millions in bonus payments.

Dean

--
Robin Laing