Re: 3D Support for NVIDIA

Chris Jones writes:

Angel wrote:
Well.I told,I am totally new in Linux.So if I want supports from this lists like "paint-by-numbers instructions given on a silver platter".Then I don't think,its a big crime.If anyone unable to give me "paint-by-numbers instructions",then ok,who tell you to reply me?

Please don't let Sam's emails put you off this list Angel - His feelings towards non-OSS are well known here. There are many people on this list who are happy to help..

Yes, but…

/me looks around

Well, where are they? If this was so, he'd have his 3D up a long time ago.

There are certainly here people who are willing to help. But the help he needs is the kind of help that's hard to get: the "help me find the magic button to push, that makes everything work" kind of help. Others already told him what he should do, but that wasn't good enough. Too much work, see? He just wants to push a button, or two, and get everything working.

Now, there's nothing wrong with that. It's reasonable to expect things to work out of the box, but the sad truth of reality is that Linux is not there yet. You have to either do your homework and buy hardware that's supported by free software, or be prepared to invest time to get everything set up and working together, and be prepared for the possibility that your hardware is not supported at all. But if you don't pre-qualify your hardware, and it doesn't work, if you expect someone just to tell you where The Magic Button™ is, that makes everything working, well, you're in for a big disappointment.

It wasn't so long ago that I was shopping for a webcam here. I asked here, and got a few references to hardware that works out of the box, with Linux. I didn't just waltz into Best Buy, bought the first $10 webcam on the shelf, go home, plug it in, then threw a fit because it didn't work right then and there.