Re: 3D Support for NVIDIA

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Dean S. Messing writes:

Sam Varshavchik:
<snip>
: If you want hardware-accelerated 3D, yes. Or, you'll have to install : Nvidia's binary blobs. But if you do that, and if afterwards you have : problems with the kernel crashing, you'll have to remove Nvidia's non-free : drivers, and reproduce the problem without them, before anyone will help : you.
<snip>

Nonsense.

I've run nothing but nvidia's binary drivers for the past 5 years
under SuSE, Mandrake, and now Fedora and received all kinds of help.

Good for you.

Sadly, not everyone is as fortunate, or as lucky, as you are. A Google search will uncover plenty of horror stories of bricked x.org or kernels.

If you take a roll of the dice and it works, great. If not, you're boned.

Pick me, Pick me.

I fought with the nVidia driver for my FC7 install. I tried the nvidia blob (required to file a bug report), the Livna and the freshrpms. All had their own issues and all caused the same problems. Of course the nv drive caused problems as well, just not as bad.

In my testings, I had to rebuild and replace my xorg.conf files as each install affected it one way or another. Times leving me with no X at all. The issues were enough to make me thing about dropping FC and going to Ubuntu.

This was when I found out that the xorg probing wasn't working properly on my computer and I had to manually enter all my hardware settings. It was nothing to find that all my manually entered settings were gone after an install/upgrade.

I have stuck with the freshrpms version of drivers as they seem to work with the least headaches in my case.

As the issue was visible in both nv and the nvidia drivers, I submitted a bug report but again was made to feel that I didn't know what I was talking about. I don't know the inner workings of the kernel or xorg but I did know that my machine was locking up with xorg at +98%. FWIW, this has happened with an ATI video card using the stock xorg driver on fc6 as well. Exact same symptoms and strace outputs.

Again, there was a lot of buck passing.

For Linux to get and maintain growth in the public and commercial eyes, the developers have to work together to make these issues disappear. It would be great if all software was opensource but that isn't going to happen in a world of get rich with IP plans in the works. I am going to look at ATI in the future because of AMD's opening of their drivers.

--
Robin Laing