Re: Monitor destroyed by install

At 11:09 PM 12/11/2006, you wrote:
We're back at the original list of likely scenarios:

Physical failure of the plug and socket.  Technical failure of the input
stage for various reasons unrelated to input frequency (such as a fault
caused from the video card it was connected to, the input stage being
zapped while connecting up, spurious failure).

Plug and socket on the video card work with a different monitor.
The DVI input stage on the monitor *does* work, if you trick the computer into thinking the DVI is active.

It's more than likely that it's your computer hardware that killed it,
than the software that's on it.

The hardware is under control of the sw.

Don't argue with an electronics engineer (i.e. myself) about diagnosing
technical faults, unless you happen to be one, too.

FYI, I spend most of my time dx tech faults. Let me suggest that you do not attempt to "argue by authority" (i e, you should believe me because I'm an EE), but instead provide some useful suggestions.

Likewise, don't bite off the heads of other software people on the list who might just know more than you do.

So far, out of all the e-mails on this subject, I have not received one useful piece of information, nor has anyone acknowledged that there just might be something wrong with the sw.

As a consequence, I am unsubscribing from the list.