Re: Monitor destroyed by install

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 09:28 -0800, ols6000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> At 11:09 PM 12/11/2006, you wrote:
> >We're back at the original list of likely scenarios:
> >
> >Physical failure of the plug and socket.  Technical failure of the input
> >stage for various reasons unrelated to input frequency (such as a fault
> >caused from the video card it was connected to, the input stage being
> >zapped while connecting up, spurious failure).
>
> Plug and socket on the video card work with a different monitor.
> The DVI input stage on the monitor *does* work, if you trick the
> computer into thinking the DVI is active.
So, if the DVI input stage does work, your suggestion that the DVI
sensing circuitry is at faults sounds ok, but I fail to see how that can
be frequency related...

> >It's more than likely that it's your computer hardware that killed it,
> >than the software that's on it.

Did you unplug the monitor while power was on? if so, you are may be
blame....

> The hardware is under control of the sw.
>
> >Don't argue with an electronics engineer (i.e. myself) about diagnosing
> >technical faults, unless you happen to be one, too.
>
> FYI, I spend most of my time dx tech faults. Let me suggest that you
> do not attempt to "argue by authority" (i e, you should believe me
> because I'm an EE), but instead provide some useful suggestions.

ok, fair eough....
> >Likewise, don't bite off the heads of other software people on the
> >list who might just know more than you do.
>
> So far, out of all the e-mails on this subject, I have not received
> one useful piece of information, nor has anyone acknowledged that
> there just might be something wrong with the sw.

sorry, people do not understand how FC6 may be to blame, so you
unsubscribe. "You either agree with me or I unsubscribe". Sorry, but
this is too childish for words...