Re: Monitor destroyed by install

Tim:

ols6000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> Because the VGA input of the same monitor works. And, the digital
> input works too, but only if you fool the video card into thinking
> there's a digital monitor plugged in. My conclusion is that the
> monitor is no longer sending back the "I am a digital monitor" signal
> on the DVI cable.

So far, so good.  As to the reason for the failure, though...

> As far as the freqency dependence, I'm just quoting from the monitor
> manual. The monitor itself is high quality, and it's not just a
> coincidence that it failed 15 sec after Linux detected the video
> card. True, there's a 10^-6 chance of it just happening to occur at
> that moment, but the much more likely probability is that it was FC6.

If "frequency" was the fault, you'd have completely a dead monitor, not
just part of the input stage.  It's not an input stage that's concerned
with video frequencies, that's a display generation issue.

We're back at the original list of likely scenarios:

Physical failure of the plug and socket.  Technical failure of the input
stage for various reasons unrelated to input frequency (such as a fault
caused from the video card it was connected to, the input stage being
zapped while connecting up, spurious failure).

It's more than likely that it's your computer hardware that killed it,
than the software that's on it.

> It seems to me that too many of you are ready...

Don't argue with an electronics engineer (i.e. myself) about diagnosing
technical faults, unless you happen to be one, too.  Likewise, don't
bite off the heads of other software people on the list who might just
know more than you do.  I, and many others, find the customer rarely to
be right about the causes and actual conditions of a fault.

--
Test running FC6 & FC5, and still using FC4.
I delete all private mail, unseen.  I read from the list.