Re: Monitor destroyed by install

At 06:19 PM 12/11/2006, you wrote:
I also wonder how you determined that it's the digital video input stage
of the monitor with a fault.  And even if so, that's not going to be a
frequency dependent issue, that's just going to be input voltage issues.

Because the VGA input of the same monitor works. And, the digital input works too, but only if you fool the video card into thinking there's a digital monitor plugged in. My conclusion is that the monitor is no longer sending back the "I am a digital monitor" signal on the DVI cable.

As far as the freqency dependence, I'm just quoting from the monitor manual. The monitor itself is high quality, and it's not just a coincidence that it failed 15 sec after Linux detected the video card. True, there's a 10^-6 chance of it just happening to occur at that moment, but the much more likely probability is that it was FC6.

It seems to me that too many of you are ready to deny that there could possibly be an problem with FC6, for various reasons. Instead, you collectively should take this occasion to figure out what could cause the observed behavior. Since obviously I'm not going to get another monitor and try the experiment again, the issue will have to be attacked from the software side,by those of you who are familiar with the drivers, etc.