Re: Webcam with FC6

On 12/10/06, Keith Powell <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I did the kmod-gspca as you suggested, but there is no difference. The
web cam still isn't found. If it's of any importance, there are no
'video' folder or files in /dev.

I have also tried twice doing new installations on a spare hard drive
and trying to install the web cam again, with, and without the kernel
version. No success. That is why I haven't sent this reply earlier.

I'm completely at a loss what to do next, as I *don't* want to fire XP
up every time I want to use the web cam.

All the kmod rpms do is install the modules for your particular kernel
into the right folders, AFAIK. You may have to give the kernel module
a kick by using the command 'modprobe gspca' where gspca is the proper
name for the module ... I am just taking a wild guess ... using that
command with the wrong or non-existant module should just do nothing.
There might be a bunch of modules with one that is most appropriate
for your cam. Some others to try might be spca501, spca505, spca506,
spca508 and spca561.

Doing some Googling gave this link:
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=3947

It looks like "gspca" might be the right modprobe option to use but
that you might have to put some options for it in the modules.conf
file to make it look decent.

/Mike