Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 15:28, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> >The free availability of the VMware vmplayer really changes
> >the picture for test-drive releases.  I'd say the single most
> >dramatic thing that could be done now for new-user, new-version
> >rollout would be to maintain up to date virtual machine images
> >for full and minimal installations and promote them on
> >the main download site.
> >
> It could be but it isnt within the project scope to support any
> proprietary software.

Please explain how making an image available that runs under
the free vmplayer 'supports' proprietary software any more
than making an iso image available 'supports' CD and
media manufacturers.   And more to the point, how does
this relate to being community oriented, which I thought
was the topic at hand?   Was it a community choice to not
support any proprietary software (in whatever way you see
this as support)?  I don't see how this choice helps anyone.

>  Red Hat has a nice team of developers working on
> Xen instead which could serve similar purposes. FC5 will likely have a
> pretty good implementation of Xen.

When Xen provides the same functionality, including the
ability to test-drive a linux distribution under a running
Windows installation, it would be reasonable to discuss
whether it is worth maintaining both.  Right now, there's
only one choice and using it would help get the product you
do have some better exposure.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx