Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

On Tue, 2006-17-01 at 14:56 +0800, John Summerfied wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> >> I I don't want to join it for the sake of a month; I wish to go from
> >> three to five. I prefer not to rejig my yum configurations and/or
> >> up2date configurations, and I don't wish to go to four at this late
> >> state.
> >

> > Pretty simple. Continue getting updates from Fedora Legacy till Fedora
> > Core 5 is released.
>
> Take your fingers out of you ears; I alread said that's not what I want
> to do.
>

> >> "responsibility to contribute."
> >>
> >> Jo and I don't contribute? You gotta be joking. We've both been
> >> helping out on these lists for years (with a minor break or two when
> >> RH left us).
> >

> > If you would like to get updates from Fedora Legacy project for a longer
> > duration you will have to contribute to that project specifically which
> > is what I meant earlier in context.
> >
> We don't want to get updates from FL. We'd like support for the outgoing
> release (FC3 now, FC4 next time) to remain as it was until the second
> successor is out and (somewhat) stabilised, so there are always two
> releases supported by FP.
>

> Jo and I (and a lot of others) switched from RH back when RH announced
> its changed arrangements, and the commencement of the Fedora project
> because neither RH not FC provided what we wanted.
>
> We've dabbled in others including Debian, Ubuntu, SUSE,
> Mandrake/Mandribble and some others.
>
> I currently run Debian/Woody, Debian/Sarge, Ubuntu, FC3, SUSE 10 and
> WBEL, so I know what the major alternatives are,
>
> We're asking just for a teensy extension to the support offered by FP.
> Instead of 13 months for FC3, maybe 14 (FC5+1 say, instead of FC5-1).

Hey John, there is no use beating a dead horse. Once a decision is made
there is never any chance it will be reversed. I have finally accepted
this fact. And if I continue to use FC, I have resigned my self to
live with what I am given and just be happy if it works for me, when
it doesn't, I figure out how to live with what I can make work myself.
It has been made very clear that this is what is expected of FC users.
When something breaks, send a bugzilla if there aren't already a bunch
for the same problem, then figure out how to live with problem until
the package is no longer supported or possibly gets fixed. Remember
we are the extended testing ground for the Enterprise products and
should be resigned to be treated as such.

By the way FC5t2 seems OK so far, but I will get Ubuntu just in case
the final release is as broken as FC4 was, so I have something stable.