Re: Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 13:16, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> >I'd start with making a new user's first time experience as
> >painless as possible.
> >

> What can be done to improve that. Can you provide a specific list. You
> might want to discuss these in fedora-devel of file bug reports and
> RFE's to bugzilla if its specific enough.

The free availability of the VMware vmplayer really changes
the picture for test-drive releases.  I'd say the single most
dramatic thing that could be done now for new-user, new-version
rollout would be to maintain up to date virtual machine images
for full and minimal installations and promote them on
the main download site.  These would take none of the changes
that a livecd version takes and are even easier to run since
you don't have to reboot or shut down your existing system.
Images exist for FC4 but I can't tell if they are current with
updates or not, and I can't find any yet for the FC5 test versions
where they would really make sense.  I'd probably be running
under one right now if I had found one.

It would also be a nice touch to make a scripted method to
migrate a working/updated virtual machine to physical hardware
so you don't have have to start from scratch when you get
everything the way you like and decide to replace your current
system.  This can be done by hand by mucking around with
modules.conf and rebuilding the initrd image but it isn't
pretty.  Actually this should be the same thing you need
when moving to different physical hardware and not really
tied to the vmware install.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx