Re: [OT Humor] "Obviously designed by morons"

On 3/21/11, Joe Zeff <joe@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/21/2011 11:28 AM, James McKenzie wrote:
>> Either way, I prefer to give users sudo as it is restrictive and I
>> know what they can/cannot do and how much damge I'll have to fix when
>> they break things.
>
> My point is, if it's your box and you're the only user, you know the
> root password and there's no excuse for using sudo.
If it's yours, enjoy.  If it is not, as it is where I work, then I'm
stuck with sudo.

> Using sudo under those circumstances is, IMAO one of the hallmarks of the
> luser.  Please note that I'm a long-term member of the Scary Devil Monastery,
> and this attitude is typical of a monk.  If you don't know what that last
> sentence meant, be glad.
I do and I'm not upset that you are a Monk.  I think I've graduated to
Priest with all of the studying in the 'Bible of Scariness and How
Users can Muck Up Their Systems' even if it is Linux/UNIX.

You are so correct.   Why use sudo if it is your system?  You
shouldn't.  I used su - until I had root taken away from me (and I
gave it up because that team grew and I did not like the stop by my
work area asking "What are you up to?" twice a day.)  Giving users
only that which they need is key to the principle of Least Privilege
as well (if you know what I'm talking about, you may be more than a
Monk. :) )

Anyway, we should move this to the other thread and carry on.  Leave
this to the Gnome3/KDE4/Windows7/Mac Aqua discussion.

James McKenzie