Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 20:58, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The issue of what becomes what for purposes of comparison
>> is easliy settled by asking a genealogist.
>> Genealogists have been handling such problems for years.
>
> More focussed on time shifting (eg þ to th) but you could if you really
> wanted.
>
> You don't need to ask them however, librarians have been dealing with
> case, sort order and the joys of "How do I file a book with a mixed
> latin and greek title" long before the Columbus went yachting,
>
> You can instead ask the standard. These days that is ISO Unicode 6.0
>
> For transliterations see ISO Unicode LDR 1.9.0
>
> For the joy of case conversion see Unicode Standard 6.0, UCB case
> mappings and the supporting Annex (#31 if I remember rightly). Assuming
> you've got through that and are not either lying on the floor gibbering
> or down the pub attempting to forget what you saw (its a bit like Cthulhu
> [1] it seems) you can continue to the implementation guidelines (about 30
> pages of them), and read the glibc implementation thereof.
>
> By which time you will most definitely not want to rely on caseless
> comparisons as you will understand the true nature of caseless comparison
> and how locale dependant it is.

I'm passingly familiar with the complexity involved. Nobody is asking
for the entire Unicode transliteration to be handled in Yum. In fact,
I don't know of any implementations at all.

The issue under discussion is the ASCII character set. No locale
treats case sensitivity for the ASCII-compatible first 128 codepoints
differently than the C locale. The feature requested would be
restricted to those codepoints.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il