Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Alan Cox wrote:

Anyway, being really pedantic.  In the English language, it's certainly

I think you mean American. I doubt most people know the correct behaviour
for æ, ï, ô, é and other accented letters that appear in en_GB English
words.

The issue of what becomes what for purposes of comparison
is easliy settled by asking a genealogist.
Genealogists have been handling such problems for years.

Ah but you see here is one of your problems. Do you want the question

	is RPM name A == RPM name B

to depend upon locale ? Isn't that a bit of a hazard - imagine if you

Only if one blindly relies on the answer.
I'd recommend against relying on fuzzy comparisons to do updates.
Fuzzy comparisons are a mechanism for finding what one wants.
If one does not blindly rely on the answers,
one does not need to do the comparisons exactly
right by some standard or antoher.
Of course, exact matches should also be fuzzy matches.

have multiple respositories and your dependancies pulled a different
package in German to English locales ?

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.