Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

Tim:
>> Beg yours?  There's plenty of procedures for treating "A" as "a" in
>> computing.

Chris Adams:
> In 7 bit ASCII, sure.  But the world has moved on (since most of the
> worlds' languages don't work in 7 bit ASCII), and UTF makes this vastly
> more complicated (including rules that change based on the current
> locale).

Though we're not supposed to use such characters in the names...

Anyway, being really pedantic.  In the English language, it's certainly
possible (and acceptable) to fold upper- down to lower-case, or vice
versa.  Other languages will have similar positions (it's acceptable and
doable).  And yes, there will be some characters that don't have
mutually equivalent meanings, which have be treated separately, there's
nothing new in that, either.

e.g. A-Z is treated the same as a-z, because it's acceptable and
possible.  We don't treat the unshifted 0-9 with the shifted ) to
( characters as being equivalent, as they're not.

There's nothing particularly special about rules that say character
numbers so-and-so are equivalent to character numbers so-and-so, in
sections throughout the repertoire, with other blocks of characters that
don't have equivalents.  Unicode just extends the size of the
repertoire.  And while UTF-8 encoding complicates things, it always has,
particularly when programmers try doing things without decoding it
properly.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686