Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Alan Cox wrote:

The issue of what becomes what for purposes of comparison
is easliy settled by asking a genealogist.
Genealogists have been handling such problems for years.

More focussed on time shifting (eg þ to th) but you could if you really
wanted.

You don't need to ask them however, librarians have been dealing with
case, sort order and the joys of "How do I file a book with a mixed
latin and greek title" long before the Columbus went yachting,

For the joy of case conversion see Unicode Standard 6.0, UCB case
mappings and the supporting Annex (#31 if I remember rightly). Assuming

Why?

> Ah but you see here is one of your problems. Do you want the question
>
> 	is RPM name A == RPM name B
>
> to depend upon locale ? Isn't that a bit of a hazard - imagine if you

Only if one blindly relies on the answer.
I'd recommend against relying on fuzzy comparisons to do updates.

Any locale dependant comparison is by definition not a single mapping
across all systems. Any case ignoring comparison is locale dependant - the
standards decree this.

So?

So the only non fuzzy comparison you can rely on is a case dependant one.

Fuzzy is what is being asked for.

put every UTF character in its own bin
for U in UTF_characters :
    for Loc in Locales :
        for V in UTF_characters :
            if U and V match in Loc :
                merge bin of U with bin of V

For fuzzy matching purposes, characters in the same bin match.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.