Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

> The issue of what becomes what for purposes of comparison
> is easliy settled by asking a genealogist.
> Genealogists have been handling such problems for years.

More focussed on time shifting (eg þ to th) but you could if you really
wanted.

You don't need to ask them however, librarians have been dealing with
case, sort order and the joys of "How do I file a book with a mixed
latin and greek title" long before the Columbus went yachting,

You can instead ask the standard. These days that is ISO Unicode 6.0

For transliterations see ISO Unicode LDR 1.9.0

For the joy of case conversion see Unicode Standard 6.0, UCB case
mappings and the supporting Annex (#31 if I remember rightly). Assuming
you've got through that and are not either lying on the floor gibbering
or down the pub attempting to forget what you saw (its a bit like Cthulhu
[1] it seems) you can continue to the implementation guidelines (about 30
pages of them), and read the glibc implementation thereof.

By which time you will most definitely not want to rely on caseless
comparisons as you will understand the true nature of caseless comparison
and how locale dependant it is.

> > Ah but you see here is one of your problems. Do you want the question
> >
> > 	is RPM name A == RPM name B
> >
> > to depend upon locale ? Isn't that a bit of a hazard - imagine if you
>
> Only if one blindly relies on the answer.
> I'd recommend against relying on fuzzy comparisons to do updates.

Any locale dependant comparison is by definition not a single mapping
across all systems. Any case ignoring comparison is locale dependant - the
standards decree this.

So the only non fuzzy comparison you can rely on is a case dependant one.

It's one of those "I'd like PI to be 3" things. Reality sucks but your
circles don't actually work unless you accept the nature of the real
world.

Pending the successful implementation of Globalspeak with a formal
standardised grammar and vocabulary for the entire earth population we
just have to live with the current wonderfully rich and complex world of
language that doesn't map onto computers nicely (Finnish grammar being
about as close as it gets).

Alan
[1] If you don't know what Cthulhu is see Project Gutenberg, and don't
read them late at night.. after all that thumping noise upstairs can't be
the other students surely they are all out ...