Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

> Anyway, being really pedantic.  In the English language, it's certainly

I think you mean American. I doubt most people know the correct behaviour
for æ, ï, ô, é and other accented letters that appear in en_GB English
words.

> possible (and acceptable) to fold upper- down to lower-case, or vice
> versa.  Other languages will have similar positions (it's acceptable and
> doable).  And yes, there will be some characters that don't have

No - in fact in English it is basically OK but in other languages it is
not. See below

> mutually equivalent meanings, which have be treated separately, there's
> nothing new in that, either.

Ah but you see here is one of your problems. Do you want the question

	is RPM name A == RPM name B

to depend upon locale ? Isn't that a bit of a hazard - imagine if you
have multiple respositories and your dependancies pulled a different
package in German to English locales ?

> There's nothing particularly special about rules that say character
> numbers so-and-so are equivalent to character numbers so-and-so, in
> sections throughout the repertoire, with other blocks of characters that

There is a lot special. The rules for caseless comparison of the unicode
character set, case conversion and the like are huge. Some languages
don't have such a concept, some differ on how they are compared. The
comparison of accented and non-accented character variants is also a big
deal that Americanglish doesn't have to deal with but the rest of the
world does.

Even apparently simple things like German throw in some absolute gems.
Try for example ß which has no upper case ligature but translates into a
pair of 'S'. Then the fun starts - how do you determine if any given pair
of SS ligatures in German are the same as ß if lower cased. Greek has
position dependant casing while in Turkish the letter I is a whole little
bomb of its own.

> don't have equivalents.  Unicode just extends the size of the
> repertoire.

And the rule set, and the number of case forms (upper, low and title) -
see upper/lower isn't really enough.

Welcome to planet Earth as seen by the rest of us

At this point you hopefully start to see why "Did you mean XYZ" is much
easier to implement, and also more useful !

There are very very good reasons to keep "is RPM name A the same as RPM
name B" a question that is not dependant upon anything else. Case is a
concept that doesn't have that property.

Alan