Re: was: Still no kmod for new nvidia- now: so Move On

Yes, we have a problem with the financial model which includes buying
hardware
> in hopes that it will be useful before it's obsolete. That means it works on day
> one.
>
> The one thing I can't accept is breaking support for systems which worked fine
> on older releases. I don't want people running FC9 any more, but FC13 no longer
> supports the hardware. By support I mean a default install will display a
> graphical login screen a opposed to locking up so hard the battery must come out.
>
> Several people point out that Win7 runs on these systems nicely. Daily. Loudly.
> Insist on putting "Linux upgrade problems" on agendas. Those people, the MS fanbois.

We are running ubuntu on fairly basic equipment, but I do agree, forget
Fedora past ver 11 for older equipment.
With respect to cutting edge and the necessity thereof, much of the
world still uses neolithic windows versions. Fedora 10 and 11 are light
years ahead of those, is there any reason they too could not be
acceptable on low end systems?
The questions could be, what apps 'need' to be run?
Can you get away with openoffice, gimp, inkscape, audacity and so many
other early version apps.
Do you need compatibility with late version apps?
What are the fears/problems with running an OS that is only 1-2 years old?
Roger