Re: Still no kmod for new nvidia

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 13:00:33 -0400,
  Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Let me try to be polite about that, the drivers in FC6 thru FC9 are proprietary?
> Really? Sounds like FUD to me!

But they probably aren't going to work with recent kernels. So that makes them
not very useful for using them on recent Fedora.

> figure you will like them for that when you buy again (I do), and unpaid open
> source developers will work on new features, because their "compensation" is
> from either using what they write or impressing other developers with it.

Also the ones that are paid to develop graphics drivers have 3D support
low on the their list of things to work on. Airlie covers some of this in:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2009-November/042327.html

> Unfortunately open source fanatics will continue to post as if license purity is
> more import than working computers. I've worn out my urge to warn users.

The topic is more nuanced than that. Part of it is RPMFusion users getting
support here instead of RPMFusion. Part of it is that Fedora's stated
principals are such that it attracts people who care more about free software
than say Ubuntu. Part of it is if you want to change corporations'
behaviors you need to affect their bottom line. That is why some people here
will advocate not buying nVidia hardware even when it is cheaper for the
performance when using the binary drivers. Part of it is people using
nVidia's driver stuff directly which changes your system in ways that
may be hard to undo later and may introduce security problems that are
hard to fix unless nVidia issues an update.

Their drivers (at least the versions packaged by RPMFusion) also don't work
for live images. They check the version of the video hardware at install
and that won't work for live images.