Re: was: Still no kmod for new nvidia- now: so Move On

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 11:12 +1000, Roger wrote:
> Why in the world would someone pay more for computer to run Linux?

Because they wanted to run Linux, and given the choices of hardware
available to them, only the more expensive options were compatible.

I faced that when I bought my laptop.  The cheap ones all used an
unsupported graphics chipset, only the expensive ones had graphics
chipsets that we had drivers for.

And with all due disrespect to the one person on this list who kept on
saying that eventually they would have support, there was no way for us
to know whether that would really happen, and we aren't going to buy an
unusable computer and leave it on the shelf for two years, in the
meantime.  Nor forgo buying a new computer for two years, waiting for
the time it was feasible.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686