Re: Unexplained temporary freezes in Thunderbird Fedora 13

  On 06/24/2010 05:21 PM, g wrote:
> Jerry Feldman wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> My plan over the next few days is to run 64-bit 3.1 from Rawhide with no
>> extensions with ntpd and possibly some other daemons disabled.
> this will help. there are several daemons that can hog system for brief
> periods and as long as you make note of what you disable, you can restore
> them one by one to see if that is a part of problem. especially if any
> wait for a response before freeing cpu's.
>
>> Another possible cause is that it may be trying an IMAP sync to GMAIL.  The
>> two tests here is to (1) change the timing, and (2) do offline and only
>> manually get mail.
> instead of changing timing, just disable auto checking. then you know for
> sure. offline will definitely be a way to narrow down problem.
>
>> After reading some of the posts on the T-Bird list, I'm leaning in this
>> direction.
> for sure. and note which are ms and which are linux.
>
>> If things go well, then we'll re-enable some of these. I will install the
>> 32-bit 3.1 with no extensions and see if that is clean, then install
>> enigmail and a few other extensions after testing for a while.
> for now, 32 bit is only way to get enigmail.
>
>> The one common factor is that top shows Thunderbird using 100% CPU.
> a problem with top is it does not show which cpu is being used by what,
> and this can be a problem in troubleshooting.
Agreed on all cases. Certainly Top is not a panacaeia, and there are
some better profiling and debugging tools. This weekend I plan on
installing the 32-bit version initially with no extensions after further
checking.

--
Jerry Feldman<gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix