Re: Unexplained temporary freezes in Thunderbird Fedora 13

On 06/14/2010 05:17 PM, g wrote:
> Jerry Feldman wrote:
>
> <snip>
> to further clarify, maybe, i do not/would not relate volume size being
> huge to 'drafts' folder file.
>
> what is stored there and left, is what you save with 'file > save',
> 'file > save as', or <ctrl+s>. or a crash, which could be if you
> <ctrl+alt+backspace>, <ctrl+alt+esc> or close out in some other way
> with out finishing properly with compose window.
>
> a simple viewing of 'drafts' folder will show you what is there. if
> 'drafts' folder is in bold type, you definitely have composed emails
> there. if you have any there that are shown as read, it is because
> you read what is there, or you move something there.
>

>> When I installed Fedora 13, It was relatively small, and I had another
>> folder for downloads, isos, and virtual machines. I don't know why this is
>>
> <snip>
>
> as for lvm, only reasoning i can relate to thunderbird is that lvm is set
> too low and thunderbird is having to wait for space assignment.
>
> i never found need for lvm, i see it's advantages, but i can also see
> disadvantages. i do not use it.

The drafts folder is certainly there and usually empty unless I am
composing. I don't usually keep any drafts laying around. The only
reason I mentioned LVM is that when installing Fedora 13 it created a
/home LV quite a bit larger than I had intended.
One reason I like LVM is that it allows for easier resizing. While
partitions and file systems can be resized, LVM is designed for that.

Back to the original subject. Some how Thunderbird gets busy doing
something that causes the main window and the composition window to
darken and freeze. While I can still type, the keystrokes are not echoed
onto the comp window until after T-Bird finishes what it is doing. It
certainly could be that it is saving into the drafts folder, but
normally, manually saving a draft seems to save more quickly. It is
possible that it is in process of retrieving email from the IMAP and POP
servers, but this normally happens in the background and does not cause
a freeze. While I have been typing this I can see activity in both
drafts and inbox (plus filter) without a freeze. Another possibility is
that it may be trying to compact a folder, but I don't have automatic
compacting set up.

One other piece of information that may be irrelevant is that I run
Thunderbird through an X tunnel while at work, but the freezes  that I
am reporting occur while at home, so there could be some issue related
to Gnome or the nVidia driver.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix