Re: Unexplained temporary freezes in Thunderbird Fedora 13

On 06/15/2010 11:25 AM, g wrote:
> Jerry Feldman wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> Back to the original subject. Some how Thunderbird gets busy doing
>>
> <snip>
>
> ok, take thunderbird out of as much background mode as possible.
>
> next time you are going to be composing emails, put thunderbird offline,
> disable auto save, then start composing.
>
> if you still have freezing, take system offline.
>
> also, you could run top in a terminal. when you have freezing/loss of
> keystroke showing, note what you see at top of top display.

This is certainly a good idea. I think that running TOP in a terminal
and placing that window always on top without making any changes to
Thunderbird settings is the first thing to do because the freeze could
be something unrelated to Thunderbird. The second step, would possibly
to be either disable autosave or set T-bird to offline mode. Another
possibility is to change the autosave time to determine if it is
actually the autosave. Currently the interval is 5 minutes. By setting
it to 1 minute would make it easier to isolate. The reason I seem to
doubt the autosave is that yesterday morning the message I was composing
was short and should not have caused an autosave sequence.  Hopefully, I
should have some more data by next weekend.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix