Re: Unexplained temporary freezes in Thunderbird Fedora 13

On 06/14/2010 01:08 PM, Dale J. Chatham wrote:
> On 06/14/2010 12:04 PM, Steven Stern wrote:
>
>> On 06/14/2010 11:50 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>>

>>> In the past, Thunderbird would freeze temporarily while waiting to
>>> obtain a GPG key or to load some graphics. However in Thunderbird 3.04
>>> on Fedora 13 (x86_64) I'm seeing some issues where the screen goes dark,
>>> even while I am composing. After a short while, it cathes up. My system
>>> is an x86_64 system with 6GB RAM and an AMD quad core processor. I have
>>> 2 sources I get email from, (1) gmail via IMAP, (2) my ISP via POP.
>>> AFAIK, Thunderbird downloads new email in the background, and has not
>>> affected the performance. What is annoying is that this freeze occurs
>>> while composing email, so that the other things, like waiting for a GPG
>>> key to be downloaded or waiting for a very large email body to display
>>> is not in play. I'm looking to see if anyone else is experiencing
>>> similar issues for corroboration purposes.  For instance, I encountered
>>> it this morning before leaving for work. My system was relatively idle
>>> with firefox and Gnome-terminal running. I think I had about 3
>>> relatively non-dynamic websites on firefox at the time.
>>>

>> Try turning off global indexing.
>>
>> EDIT ->  PREFERENCES ->  ADVANCED ->  GENERAL
>>

> I only see the "hang" when I upgrade T-Bird.  Once I put up with the
> eons that the first access takes, it's pretty easy to live with.

I moved to T-Bird from Claws (on Linux of course) a few years ago. I
generally use the version on T-Bird that is on the current Fedora repo.
The freeze condition that I see is just an annoying pain because it
occurs while I am typing. it is possible that the issue may not be
directly related to thunderbird, but possibly something with the nVidia
driver, but my gut feel at the moment is that T-Bird is doing something
that affects echoing the keystrokes. I need to do a bit more testing and
see if I can find the culprit.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix