Re: Unexplained temporary freezes in Thunderbird Fedora 13

Jerry Feldman wrote:
<snip>

> I only have 3 extensions: (1) AdBlock Plus. I had disabled this after I
> first posted the message.

from adblockplus site;
  http://adblockplus.org/en/installation

it states;
  Install Adblock Plus 1.2
  Minimal requirements: Firefox 3.0.12, Firefox Mobile (Fennec) 1.0,
   Thunderbird 3.0, SeaMonkey 2.0, Songbird 1.4, Prism 1.0 Beta 1.

also, on adblockplus site, this page;
  http://adblockplus.org/en/getting_started

states;
 Adblock Plus is an extension for Firefox, Thunderbird, and several other
 applications with the primary goal of removing advertisements.

tho it does include thunderbird, i am at wonder what kind of emails are
you receiving that you need to remove advertisements.

unless you subscribe to a lot of commercial list, i can see no need for
installing in an email client.

plus, unless you like to view such emails in glory of html, i do not see
a need if you view emails in plain text mode. this way, most ads would
tend to appear as a lot of links.

for my taste, i would not install adblock in an email client. browser, yes.

but here again, we are talking 'baskin-robbins'. ;)

> (2) Enigmail. While I did experience the slowdown on 3.1 where there was
> no enigmail.

for enigmail, enigmail would not, to my understanding, run except when you
first open and email and when you send and email.

> (3) English Dictionary.

if set to run while typing, which i do, then you may have a slight
interaction as you type, but that is only when you finish typing a word
and/or press space or a sentence closer. and then it acts so fast that
i would not consider it to be something to cause a slowdown while typing.

granted, it may be installed so that it accepts what you are typing and
stores to a buffer, but i would not think doing such would cause freezing.

after all, we are talking about a high speed cpu. not a 10m0 cps 8080. yet
even such a slow cpu would still be fast enough to hide buffering.

> Possibly I will reinstall 3.1 and either disable the 2 remaining
> extensions or run it in safe mode.

if Konstantin Svist is running 3.1 without problems, i see no reason that
you should not be able to.

if you reinstall, install 32 bit so you can get enigmail back.

as you are aware of, if you start in safe-mode, extensions are disabled.

you did say that you tried watching what else was running, but nothing
seemed to be occurring when you had freezes.

if you have 'ntp' enabled, try turning it off to see if it's causing any
problems.

also, anything else that maybe hitting internet.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.

.