Re: Regarding Get Fedora page

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 5:40 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/28/2010 05:33 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> So, I think you are saying that non-technical users are more likely to
>> go to "Activities" to see what that is all about than go to "Spins".  In
>> other words, since they wouldn't know what "spin" means...they wouldn't
>> have any curiosity and click on the tab.  They won't mistake
>> "Activities" for an educational process or procedure intended to
>> stimulate learning through actual experience (one definition for
>> activities) and simply decide not to go there.
>>

> I am not sure whether you are agreeing or disagreeing here.  If you
> disagree that activities is any better, feel free to do a survey on your
> own and provide the feedback to webmaster AT fedoraproject.org.  Select
> users who are not familiar with Fedora jargon for best effect.   You can
> do a quick mockup with a alternative word including spins itself for
> more comprehensive results.  Even a sample of say a dozen users would be
> helpful.

We could call it what it really is -- "Live CDs" or "Task Live CDs" or
even "Live Media". In fact, "Live Media" is used as an alternative for
Spins in the "Formats" tab. If it is still deemed to be confusing for
a new user then you could modify the description to be something like
this:

Fedora Live Media (commonly referred to as <b>Fedora Spins</b>) are
alternate versions of Fedora, tailored for various types of users via
hand-picked application sets and other customizations.

Mockup here:

http://siddhesh.fedorapeople.org/mockup/get-fedora-options.html

--
Siddhesh Poyarekar