Re: That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

no, that clearly won't stop some people from screwing things up, but
as long as people continue to build incompatible repos, i don't see
that there's any perfect solution.

Ummm, people didn't 'build incompatible repos'. The 3rd party repos existed long before fedora (I used them with apt-get for rpms back in the RH7.x days and they were probably around before that). It is the fedora project that is repackaging parts of the things available in 3rd party repos in incompatible ways. That might be OK if they had the potential to be a complete replacement, but they don't. So they have set up the situation where they won't/can't provide everything needed and yet refuse to cooperate with the people who will. I suppose a US company with enough money to be worth suing has to maintain some distance regarding cooperation with anything potentially related to helping with patent infringement but that isn't even involved for some things like Nvidia and java.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx