Re: That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

> Craig White wrote:
> > ----
> > Les, you are forgetting that this is your poster boy for proving what is
> > wrong with Fedora java integration.
>
> It's the same issue regarding cooperation with any 3rd party. It's just
> been a while since I ranted about what is wrong with fedora in terms of
> the other repos.  There's no reason anyone should have to do any of the
> things Karl has done - or that he should have to guess about how to do
> it and get it wrong.
----
it's been longer since we had Michael Schwendt arguing with Dag/Axel
about the same very thing and clearly nothing was resolved to the
typical user's satisfaction except that the user has to become aware
that he is responsible for his own box.

Thus I take issue with your contention, "there is no reason anyone
should have to do any of the things Karl has done" - there clearly is a
reason, and it has been known for many years now. The reason is that
there are repos that have packages which are incompatible with each
other.

Karl's issue is that he is seemingly deaf to the fact that people are
giving him conflicting advice. Karl has also antagonized too many people
to make his concerns meaningful to others.

The list itself gives conflicting advice. That was obvious by the fact
that within the space of a day, after giving evidence of cross
contamination of related packages from various repos, he was instructed
to:
- demonstrate which packages would be affected by attempting a yum
remove (which he failed to do)
- suggested to use apt instead of yum
- suggested to compile from source
- self-suggested an install via rpm --force

In the end, he could have cleared his problems with yum but his deafness
and his antagonism towards others made that impossible...but hey, he's
your poster boy for java issues, not mine.

Craig