Re: Updates SOLVED! ... Or is it! ... vlc won't install

Michael Schwendt wrote:
On 17/01/2008, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael Schwendt wrote:
On 15/01/2008, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:
   Well at this point I know a great deal more than YOU do about yum. I
am sorry you had no working ideas but thanks for a try at least.

Karl

What is the output from package-cleanup --problems and from
package-cleanup --dupes ?
That's completely irrelevant to the problem of yum failing to download
the "vlc" package from freshrpms.
Is it irrelevant? He mentioned using the --force option for rpm. He
could have uncompleted rpm transactions, multiple version installations
and other problems.

His yum output showed that yum failed to _download_ the vlc rpm. Yum
gave up when verifying the package checksum. That is a step that has
nothing to do with rpm transactions or multiple installed versions. It
belongs into your "other problems" category, e.g. not enough space in
/var, damaged files in yum's cache, network problems, ...

:)

I'll admit my mistake for getting into such a confusing thread where I could not determine what was really going on. The download stopping part way through seems to be the problem that was addressed during that time I added my input to the thread. I myself check the system for any signs of package conflicts before expecting yum to have a good base to work from. I run development so I check the system with those valuable yum add-ons personally whenever yum fails in some way. Sorry for the sidetracking. The system being discussed with problems was blown away shortly after so there is no way to be sure. A partially downloaded file in the cache for yum, conflicting repositories, not having the repositories enabled always and many more factors probably caused the failure to download. Other system instabilities were most likely there but had nothing to due with the immediate problem.

Jim

--
	"Life and death are seldom logical."
	"But attaining a desired goal always is."