Re: That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 11:00:54AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>> no, that clearly won't stop some people from screwing things up, but
>> as long as people continue to build incompatible repos, i don't see
>> that there's any perfect solution.
>
> Ummm, people didn't 'build incompatible repos'.  The 3rd party repos
> existed long before fedora (I used them with apt-get for rpms back in the
> RH7.x days and they were probably around before that).  It is the fedora
> project that is repackaging parts of the things available in 3rd party
> repos in incompatible ways.  That might be OK if they had the potential to
> be a complete replacement, but they don't.  So they have set up the
> situation where they won't/can't provide everything needed and yet refuse
> to cooperate with the people who will.  I suppose a US company with enough
> money to be worth suing has to maintain some distance regarding cooperation
> with anything potentially related to helping with patent infringement but
> that isn't even involved for some things like Nvidia and java.

I wondered about this as well. If inclusion of codeina is acceptable, to
download codecs that users may need but that cannot be included in
fedora, wouldn't some sort of pointer to hardware drivers, browser
plugins and such software be equally acceptable? It would certainly make
life easier on the users.

David Jansen