Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 10:52 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Dave Ihnat wrote:
>
> >> What are talking about? Is it dificult to install or use Fedora? What's
> >> the dificulty, I don't get it. Could you elaborate?
> >
> > Fedora is an experimental OS.  Things break when new releases come out.
> > It shouldn't be used for production.  But it's got all the latest
> > coolstuff.  So?  What's the problem?
>
> The problem is that the only way to get current applications which are
> evolving rapidly and have the cool stuff you want is to get them bundled
> with a wildly experimental kernel and device drivers that will regularly
> die underneath them.   I don't see the point of changing the kernel or
> drivers in a machine _ever_ once they work correctly except perhaps for
> security updates or when adding new hardware.  The semantics of what the
> kernel is supposed to be doing was established pretty well 30 years or
> so ago.
>
> I realize that fedora isn't the distribution I wish it were, but I think
> everyone would be better off it there were a way to have Red Hat style
> administration, a stable kernel and device drivers, and up to date apps
> all in one distribution.  It isn''t nearly so traumatic to have an
> occasional crash or need to restart a single application as it is when
> the machine won't boot or you lose access to disk drives containing your
> data.

As a distro alternative, how about RHEL or CentOS together with the
CentOSPlus repo and Red Hat's EPEL (Fedora packages for RHEL) repo?

Alternatively, there was also some discussion a while ago on this list
of Fedora providing vanilla kernel RPMs.  Not sure what the status of
that is now.
--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences