Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 08:26:33AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> But I would say that "things are easier on a Mac" where things also
> don't require source and do work across the relevant CPU lines.

The Mac shouldn't even be compared to Linux or Windows; it's a totally
different world.  Everything comes from Apple or is blessed by Apple.
Given that Apple has absolute and total control over the source and
hardware, of course Macs don't have the hardware problems inherent in
the PC platforms.

Both Linux and Windows work on platforms that have, literally,
thousands of vendors manufacturing a tremendous range of equipment,
most of which has to have a properly working device driver.  Much as
they'd like to, Microsoft can't control all these vendors; the original
PC was wide open--they even published schematics and the source to the
BIOS--and that legacy is embedded in the attitude of the vendors today.
(MS's attempt to lock down the driver interface with Vista is meeting
with a lot of resistance.)

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat