Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 23:35 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I'll quit when others quit insisting that source code availability to
> device drivers that are maintained by the device vendor is necessary.

It might be if you're going to compile something to suit the system it
runs on.  And I don't just mean optimisations.

> Other operating systems demonstrate that it is not.

Though, those others have the hardware vendor write drivers (often
badly) for specific systems.  Outside of those systems, you're screwed
(particular versions of Windows, or differing hardware - PPC, Intel,
etc.).

There's probably quite a few of us that bought some made-for-Windows
hardware (sound card, graphics card, etc.), that never worked right from
the get go.  The next update or two didn't really fix it, and there
wasn't a third update.  So I don't give much credence to the "things are
easier on Windows" mantra.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.4-65.fc7 i686 i386