Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

Tim wrote:

Though, those others have the hardware vendor write drivers (often
badly) for specific systems.  Outside of those systems, you're screwed
(particular versions of Windows, or differing hardware - PPC, Intel,
etc.).

There's probably quite a few of us that bought some made-for-Windows
hardware (sound card, graphics card, etc.), that never worked right from
the get go.  The next update or two didn't really fix it, and there
wasn't a third update.  So I don't give much credence to the "things are
easier on Windows" mantra.

I've never said that things are easier on Windows, but I will concede that they have been stable for at least the time span between Win2ksp2 (perhaps even NTsp6a) through everything before vista.

But I would say that "things are easier on a Mac" where things also don't require source and do work across the relevant CPU lines.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx