Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Dave Ihnat wrote:
>

>> And remember--*everything* can be built from source.  If there's a
>> particular
>> package you want to have the latest'n'greatest, and they're not moving it
>> fast enough to suit in the test and repository cycle, you _can_ just
>> build
>> that one for yourself.
>
> Is that something you'd suggest that your clients do for their desktops?
>  Or are you recommending Linux at all?

Why would anyone suggest to a client that they use Fedora for their
desktops? That is using the wrong tool for the job!

>> Because of that, I won't run Fedora as a server; I don't want to have
>> to monitor my server closely to make sure wonky updates don't bring it
>> down, and I don't want to be forced to upgrade to the next--possibly
>> very wonky-- release as they push the older version of Fedora out.
>>
>> OTOH, it's on my dual-boot laptop, and I enjoy poking at the new stuff.
>
> Yes, there's a need for experimental things and a sometimes-booted
> partition is a suitable place for them.  But that's not going to replace
> Windows in the mainstream.

Why do you keep implying that Fedora is intended to replace Windows?
That is not the roll of Fedora in the Linux community. Depending on
the user, Mandriva or Ubuntu would be a better choice for that. Not
every Linux distribution is intended to be a desktop or server os.
There is no reason that they should be. Linux has a log tradition
that there is more then one way to do things. This variety is one of
its strong points. But some people continue to believe that every
distribution has to appeal to the average user or it is a failure.
But nitch distributions can be successful as well.

Yes, you are going to run into problems with Fedora from time to
time. Finding and fixing the problems are part of the fun. If it
isn't fun for you, then why are you here? Why are you trying to
change one of the strong points of Fedora? Sure, it doesn't meet
your needs for a desktop, but why should it have to? Would you
demand that a sports car hold 6 people? Do you demand that a 10
passenger van handle like a sports car? Would you demand that a dump
truck have the same acceleration as the sports car? After all, they
all drive on the same roads. Even dump trucks come in different
sizes for different jobs.

Mikkel