Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

Dave Ihnat wrote:

What are talking about? Is it dificult to install or use Fedora? What's
the dificulty, I don't get it. Could you elaborate?

Fedora is an experimental OS.  Things break when new releases come out.
It shouldn't be used for production.  But it's got all the latest
coolstuff.  So?  What's the problem?

The problem is that the only way to get current applications which are evolving rapidly and have the cool stuff you want is to get them bundled with a wildly experimental kernel and device drivers that will regularly die underneath them. I don't see the point of changing the kernel or drivers in a machine _ever_ once they work correctly except perhaps for security updates or when adding new hardware. The semantics of what the kernel is supposed to be doing was established pretty well 30 years or so ago.

I realize that fedora isn't the distribution I wish it were, but I think everyone would be better off it there were a way to have Red Hat style administration, a stable kernel and device drivers, and up to date apps all in one distribution. It isn''t nearly so traumatic to have an occasional crash or need to restart a single application as it is when the machine won't boot or you lose access to disk drives containing your data.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx