Re: F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 - amazing statements

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> I don't know of any Fedora application that works
>> with Fedora kernel 2.6.x.y-n
>> that does not work equally well with vanilla kernel 2.6.x.y .
>> That is what I mean by orthogonal.
>
> There have been some examples in the past seen in bugzilla. These are
> treated as bugs and fixed.

If an application does not work with a current vanilla kernel,
then in my view there is a bug in the application,
not the kernel.

>> It used to be much more difficult than it is today,
>> because Torvalds and team have cleaned things up
>> and organized them better.
>> In my view the Fedora developers could learn a lesson from this.
>> Fedora is becoming much too spaghetti-like.
>
> That's amusing since "Torvalds and team" includes Fedora developers. Red
> Hat is the largest commercial contributor to the Linux kernel.

That does not contradict what I said in any way.
It is the organization of Fedora that I am talking about,
not individual applications.
I repeat: in my view Fedora is becoming too complex,
and would benefit greatly from simplification and organization.

> Do you have bug reports on what you consider "sphagetti-like".

A "spaghetti-like development" is not a bug.
Examples of what I mean would be most audio and video aspects
of Fedora-7.
Also things like conflicting config generators,
as eg system-config-printer contrasted with the web interface to CUPS.

Nb This is not a serious criticism of Fedora,
simply a response to those who were arguing that I was wrong
in preferring to keep distribution and kernel orthogonal.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366