Re: F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 USB stick

Chris Jones wrote:

>> I'll bet the change that stops WiFi working on my ThinkPad T23
>> with the latter had nothing at all to do with hardware.
>> and was simply an error in the SPEC file due to a typo or an oversight.
>
> However the error was made, it still does not change the fact that if
> the error only effects the ThinkPad T23, which is perfectly possible,

It may be "possible", but it is not true,
as you would see if you read the postings about kernel-2.6.22.1-33 .

> then unless ever the dev (him/her)self has a ThinkPad T23 available to
> test on or b), someone has one and also runs the testing repo (and cares
> about wireless), then unless it is spotted through sheer chance, its not
> going to get found before releasing to Fedora as a whole. To expect
> anything seems unreasonable to me.

I can't actually think of any way a package could work with a PCMCIA card
on all machines except the T23.

In this case, the new kernel 2.6.22.1-41 works perfectly for me.
So I'm convinced there was a simple error in the SPEC file.

I don't think the Fedora kernel developers ever try to "improve"
something like a WiFi module, anyway.

> No one is forcing you to use the new kernel, just boot back to the old
> one.

I didn't say anyone was forcing me to use the new kernel -
I simply stated as a fact that it did not work with my WiFi device.
(Many other people said the same thing.
I doubt if any of them was using a T23.)

Yes, I learned quite a long time ago that if one kernel does not work
you should try another one.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366