Re: F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 USB stick

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> I don't think the Fedora kernel developers ever try to "improve"
>> something like a WiFi module, anyway.
>
> There has been a hell lot of misinformation in this thread but this one
> takes it to a whole new level. Fedora/Red Hat developer John Linville
> (http://people.redhat.com/linville/) is the upstream wireless subsystem
> maintainer for the Linux kernel.

Sorry, but if they do actually try to improve on Linus' team in this area
I wish they wouldn't.

I admit I am not a great fan of Fedora kernels -
I normally compile my own from the vanilla kernels
(I haven't got round to 2.6.22 yet)
and I have never found a distribution kernel from Fedora or anyone else
which worked any better for me than the standard kernel.
(I've found many that worked worse.)

I regard the kernel and the distribution as more or less orthogonal.
If I actually had to run a non-standard kernel in order to run Fedora
I would probably move to another distribution.
Not a common point of view, I'm sure, but mine.

> If you really want to know what changed in between these kernels, take a
> look at the changelog or the cvs. Hint: it's not a typo.

I'm not sure where one finds either of these -
presumably with the kernel source?
(I looked at the developer's URL you gave, but didn't find anything there.)

I did think of downloading the two kernel sources,
and comparing the SPEC files,
but decided life was too short.

--
Timothy Murphy