Re: F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 USB stick

Tim wrote:

> Chris Jones:
>>> Also what makes you think anyone owes it to you to test *your* hardware
>>> for you before releasing updates - Fedora isn't RHEL you know, no
>>> support guarantees etc.
>
> Timothy Murphy:
>> I don't agree.
>>
>> If a developer makes a change which prevents the software working
>> with some hardware it previously worked with,
>> I think the onus is on the developer to warn the user of this.
>
> How would they know that it doesn't work on hardware that they don't
> have?

1. We are talking about CHANGES in software, not new software,

If someone makes a change in the way software operates,
he should consider (in my view) if there is any hardware
on which this might not work.
It is not actually necessary to have the hardware
in order to work this out.

2. The actual question was about a change
between Fedora kernels 2.6.22.1-27 and 2.6.22.1-33.
In other words, "improvements" to the same Linux kernel.

I very much doubt it was the intention of whoever made these changes
to alter the way in which WiFi works.
It seems to me far more likely that he made a simple error,
probably a typo of some kind.

3. There seems to me to be a delusion of grandeur
on the part of Fedora users (and perhaps developers)
that they are on the bleeding edge of technological progress.

In my experience, Fedora is very little different to Ubuntu
or other distributions in this sense.
And Fedora software does not seem to me any more or less likely
to work than Redhat software.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366