Re: Where are all the updates gone?

Tim:
>> Though, it's quite clearly sponsored by it.  Fedora wouldn't be around
>> if Red Hat wasn't it's basis (in source, hosting, and all).  Fedora
>> certainly isn't a Debian or Mandrake product.  And it's configured and
>> structured like Red Hat Linux.

Ed Greshko:
> Oh, that makes CentOS a Red Hat product, right?  Or is it a
> derivative?

It's clearly a derivative (it's derived from it).  CentOS is a CentOS
"product", the CentOS product is something that they produce from
someone else's parts.

> And since CentOS is a derivative of Red Hat that would mean the folks
> at CentOS are controlled by Red Hat, right?

In an indirect manner, it would be.  Since CentOS follows what Red Hat
does, if Red Hat change something, CentOS will do the same.  They're not
forced to, but they'll have done so as their default policy of staying
in step.  They could be different, but they want to be a free clone of
RHEL, and that's what users of CentOS want it to be.  That would fit the
definition of being controlled externally, even if not being controlled
absolutely.

> And, doesn't Ubuntu follow in the footsteps of the Debians of the
> world?  :-)

A similar situation, but I don't follow Ubuntu closely.  I haven't read
what their policies are about copying Debian.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.