Re: Where are all the updates gone?

On Sunday 04 March 2007, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 03:56 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> > Personally I get tired of people saying that Fedora is not a RedHat
>> > product. Repeat to self the motto: If it walks as a duck .....
>>
>> So, you refuse to accept the truth?
>
>Oh I accept the truth . Just not the statment that Fedora is not a
>RedHat product. But you can have your own opinion if you want.
>--
>Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

In favor of Aaron's interpretation, one should remember that the bandwidth
costs, and the salaries of at least a couple of people are paid by
RedHat, possibly from an account in the fedora name, but there has to be
a method of replenishment, and a method to loosely control what fedora
can or cannot do with that money.  So the 'paper trail' does indeed go
back to RedHat.  Shrug, no big deal, and those who make it so are tilting
at windmills.

If that were not the case, then most assuredly there would not be a
fedora in the first place.  And while we may rail at being the guinea
pigs due to the generally bleeding edge state of fedora, and I'm one who
has several times, but it should also be said that I'm thankfull for a
free distro AND generally willing to see if I can fix the breakages the
bleeding edge status brings with it.  I may have to, and usually do, ask
for a lot of help, but that's how the cookie crumbles.  If I wanted
stability and no support for hardware till its long out of production,
I'd probably run a debian or a lookalike.  Its my choice and I always
come back to the RedHat sponsored product with one exception, my milling
machine and emc were moved to *ubuntu precisely because of the long term
support 6.06 promised, and the helpfullness of this mailing list compared
to the debian users list is simply not mentionable in the same sentence
in mixed company.

OTOH, there are those that will complain bitterly, its the nature of the
human condition I believe.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)