Re: Where are all the updates gone?

On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 11:03 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Res wrote:
>
> > Just to add to this, I will always take far more notice of a poster with
> > a redhat.com address then one of the several fedora addresses getting
> > around.
>
> That's nice.  But, even those with redhat.com addresses are not
> spokespersons for Red Hat and what they say can never be construed as gospel
> or policy.  I even recall several employees of Red Hat posting from their
> personal addresses since they recognized that posting from their Red Hat
> accounts could be taken as if they spoke for Red Hat.
>
> Now, all that I perceive is the following:
>
> 1.  Fedora is a trademark of Red Hat, Inc.  The Fedora Project is not a
> supported product of Red Hat, Inc.
>
> 2.  Fedora is a set of projects, *sponsored* by Red Hat and guided by the
> Fedora Project Board. These projects are developed by a large community of
> people who strive to provide and maintain the very best in free, open source
> software and standards.
>
> 3.  lilo was dropped from Fedora and is also being dropped from the upcoming
> RELv5.  As to the exact "why"?  I don't have any insight but suspect it was
> decided with the Fedora Project Board and Red Hat.
>
> 4.  There is only one person developing/supporting lilo, John Coffman.
>
> 5.  You like lilo and totally dislike grub.
>
> 6.  You have been offered the chance to take up the post of maintainer for
> lilo in Fedora as a contributor to Fedora Extras.  It seems you're not
> really interested in becoming a contributor but prefer to remain part of the
> "those that can't, bitch" contingent.
>
> 7.  By your own admission the only time you post to the list is " when I get
> bored, or feel  a comment is warranted".
>
> 8.  People "complain" and people get "attacked" on this list and other
> lists.  Generally, those who complain don't do so in a constructive manner.
>   Generally, those who attack have become defensive and/or overreact.
>
> On a personal note, I do not use Fedora, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware, Debian,
> and others in a production environment and it is unlikely I ever will.  I
> will play with them but that's about it.
All this attack stuff is very interesting but Res's point if it can be
expanded is as follows: When Rahul posts he should make it clear if he
is posting as an individual or as a member of the Fedora Project Board.

Personally I get tired of people saying that Fedora is not a RedHat
product. Repeat to self the motto: If it walks as a duck .....
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>